   Re: [xml-dev] Why you should avoid Notation Declarations (by

Henry Thompson wrote

> "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com> writes:

>> So, I now see when using NOTATION declarations in W3C Schema, part 1
>> section 3.12.1 makes reference to a target namespace.
>>
>> But W3C Schema part 2 section 3.2.19 states that notation represents
>> the notation attribute type from XML 1.0 ...
>
> No wonder you're confused.  That's a bug that should have been fixed
> ages ago, sorry!

Some bug.

XML Schemas provides NOTATION to allow DTDs to be superceded, but
shoots itself in the foot by doing so in an incompatible way with DTDs.

If DTD did not have NOTATION, XML Schemas certainly would not have, so
it is a little economical to say that the XML Schemas NOTATION doesn't
"represent" the NOTATION type from XML 1.0 as if that weren't the original
intention: it reconstructs it like a drunken Dr Frankenstein.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe