   RSS/RSS-Data for General Data Exchange

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RSS/RSS-Data for General Data Exchange
  • From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:04:21 -0500

Has anyone here had experience using RSS-Data? (RSS has been somewhat out of my strike zone but that changing) I'm pondering the possibility of using RSS (or RSS-Data) to act as a general information exchange mechanism - that is, the data exchanged would have nothing to do with newsfeeds (if that is even possible using RSS/RSS-Data).

Alternatively, I understand that one could use RSS and apply an XSLT stylesheet just before the non-RSS-formatted information gets onto the wire/just after it comes off of the wire, so that the use of RSS is transparent to the sending/receiving systems themselves, with the primary advantage being be the use of an RSS reader (and aggregator?) for the exchange.

Are these approaches wise? Does the amount of effort required to utilize them for the stated purpose outweigh the benefits?

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World