   Quiz: XML flexibility

Hi,

	In an XML quiz I found the following question:

A company wants to develop an EDI system, which will help it to integrate with
its various trading partners (suppliers and clients). Their previous attempt
failed, as it required a unique implementation for each pair of trading
partners. Now they want to explore the capabilities of XML to make this system
efficient.

The company wants to keep the structure of XML documents flexible and open to
future changes. Which of the following is most likely implied by this
requirement ?

A. XML Schema;
B. mixed content model;
C. XSL stylesheets;
D. validating parser;

Correct answer: B
My choice: A

	Isn't this a dumb question ? I mean if you choose A you can certainly use mixed
content model with XML Schema, so answer A and B are not exclusive.

	What I am really trying to understand is "what is flexibility" ? In any XML
document you can add elements and attributes at will if you update the
associated schema. Old applications would just ignore the new elements and
attributes, so "flexibility" is build-in into XML. So, what are you doing when
you want to design a flexible XML document ?

	Can somebody give me an example of an XML document that is *not* flexible as
opposed to one that it is ?

Regards,
Razvan

www.mihaiu.name