From: "Razvan MIHAIU" <mihaiu@mihaiu.name>
To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Sunday, 27 February, 2005 02:59 PM
Subject: [xml-dev] Quiz: XML flexibility

Hi,

In an XML quiz I found the following question:

A company wants to develop an EDI system, which will help it to
integrate with its various trading partners (suppliers and clients).
Their previous attempt failed, as it required a unique implementation
for each pair of trading partners. Now they want to explore the
capabilities of XML to make this system efficient.

The company wants to keep the structure of XML documents flexible and
open to future changes. Which of the following is most likely implied by
this requirement ?

A. XML Schema;
B. mixed content model;
C. XSL stylesheets;
D. validating parser;

Correct answer: B
My choice: A

Isn't this a dumb question ? I mean if you choose A you can certainly
use mixed content model with XML Schema, so answer A and B are not
exclusive.

What I am really trying to understand is "what is flexibility" ? In any
XML document you can add elements and attributes at will if you update
the associated schema. Old applications would just ignore the new
elements and attributes, so "flexibility" is build-in into XML. So, what
are you doing when you want to design a flexible XML document ?

Can somebody give me an example of an XML document that is *not*
flexible as opposed to one that it is ?

Regards,
Razvan

www.mihaiu.name