   Re: [xml-dev] Foolin' around with multilingual and German and datatyping

On Sunday 27 February 2005 11:23 am, William J. Kammerer wrote:
> I'm lost.  What's going on?  Where's this taking us?

Don't get your knickers in a knot William...

> What's this translation business have to do with XML?

I wouldn't say it is a business...

> Regardless, what do various and sundry natural languages have to do with
> the internal attributes or tags of the markup?  Pick one language for
> your tags and be done with it - preferably using some kind of naming
> rules based on ISO 11179.    I suggest that the language (used for
> markup) be English. It's ubiquitous among IT and business folks and is
> the least ethnocentric (i.e., the vast majority of speakers are
> non-English, including myself).

Only in your part of the world.

In my quadrant of the world (includes India, China, Asia) the English speakers
are an absolute minority. 50 million maybe out of 2 billion....

> Are you confusing  markup (tags) with
> the data to be carried between those tags?  Non-English languages, and
> indeed languages not written in the Latin alphabet, can and will be used
> for data content - this is the data that the consumer or non-programmer
> will see on his Web form or report.

No.

> Markup is for programmers and software, using a limited vocabulary.

Who says...?

> Why would you introduce unnecessary variability into the markup by
> changing the tags willy-nilly?

Fun....

> Of course, the data - the character stuff
> contained between the start and end XML tags - can be in any language
> supported by UNICODE.

ok... good then... what's the problem?

> Yes, "[e]ncoding currencies is fairly important for xml use in business.
> As are logicals." That's why everyone would expect you to use a currency
> code from ISO 4217. SEPARATE THE DATA FROM THE PRESENTATION:

It is seperated.

> it's the problem of the stylesheet or application to take the USD, EUR
> or GBP currency codes (which everyone in the world would recognize since
> they're standard ISO 4217) from the XML and display $, the euro symbol
> or £, respectively, if that were desired.

ok. but I don't use style sheets...

> Using currency symbols - either in the data, the markup tag or even
> an attribute - introduces ambiguity:

Don't think so...

> what's $ stand for?

A currency value to follow...

> When used domestically within the U.S., it's understood to be USD. Likewise,
> it's used within Canada to denote CAD. And within Mexico to denote MXN (the
"new" Peso). And booleans can
> be understood the world over with the values true, false, 1 or 0. On the
> other hand, who would understand "Ya" in your "German" example?

Yeah well my apologies... that came via a skype phone call and I must
have mistyped it.

> Isn't it
> "ja"? Stick with the XSD "boolean" datatype and avoid misunderstandings.

You are getting the hang of this William.... very good!

David

--
Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.