   Re: [xml-dev] [XUS] An XML URN Scheme

Ronald Bourret wrote:
> I finally found time to read this.

thanks, as nobody react, i was thinking it was perfect !

> Overall, this seems like a sensible thing to do, as it provides a way to
> avoid having to register URN schemes. My only comment is that the xus
> namespace is not needed and the xus prefix -- really a scheme name --
> should be registered. This is because (AFAIK) URNs require you to
> register scheme names.

sure; it's much better

i will find a while to forward this proposal to ietf, one day

> If xus is not registered and used as a scheme name then you run into the
> following problem. Suppose a processor understands both the XUS and ISBN
> schemes. Now suppose I bind the prefix ISBN to the XUS namespace. There
> is no way for the processor to determine if a URN starting with
> URN:ISBN: is an XUS URN or an ISBN URN. While I admit this is a bad
> idea, it shouldn't be possible.

We both know a similar problem:
the xml specification has been published before the namespace
specification; in a certain way, the namespace specification is a patch
to the xml specification
Tools that implement core specifications (xml+namespace) always (often)
provide a mean to be "namespace aware" or not, and react differently
when a name contains ":" or not

It is the same with an URN decoder, that could be "XUS aware" or not :
if the feature "XUS aware" is set, the URN:ISBN will be a XUS URN if
ISBN is bound to the XUS namespace, an ISBN URN otherwise
if the feature "XUS aware" is not set, the URN:ISBN will be an ISBN URN

anyway, I retain that registring the XUS scheme is the best way, and
would avoid many confusion that we already know about xml+namespace