   Re: [xml-dev] Is there a way to reuse and extend an enumeration in XML s

I can't speak to Kenneth Stephen's requirements, but I'm pretty sure
that UBL wants to give users some way of extending (and restricting)
currency codes (inter alia) without modifying any of the distributed UBL
schemas.  If such a "feature" requires use of "substitutionGroup," then
UBL will consider adding the appropriate infrastructure to the
"off-the-shelf" schemas for code lists (e.g., abstract="true").  See
§4.6, Code List Schema Usage, in Universal Business Language (UBL) Code
List Representation (Version: 1.1 draft 17 January 2005), at
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/200502/pdf00000.pdf.

The UBL schema structure is indeed modular, and business document and
core component schemas do reference a separate schema for code lists.
See the  OASIS Universal Business Language 1.0 page at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/cd-UBL-1.0/.   §6.3 UBL Code List Schemas
include not only ISO 4217 currency codes, but also "pre-packaged" code
lists for others like the ISO 3166 Country codes.  More will follow, and
it is a commonly perceived requirement among e-business folks that they
will just die if the standard code lists can't be extended to
accommodate their special business needs.

You or anyone else who could proffer an elegant solution to the code
list extensibility conundrum would be hailed as a hero in the annals of
UBL.   John Bosak, chair of the OASIS UBL TC, originally requested help
on the ubl-dev mailing list, with subsequent follow-up on the "Code list
extensibility and substitution groups" and " Code list use case"
threads.

See http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/200502/msg00006.html
and http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/200503/msg00014.html.

William J. Kammerer