From: William J. Kammerer [mailto:wkammerer@novannet.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:17 PM
To: 'XML Developers List'
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Is there a way to reuse and extend an enumeration in
XML schema

But in 98% of the cases, folks will make do with the default set of
(standard ISO  4217) currency codes provided for in the "off-the-shelf"
set of UBL schemas. In another 1.9% of the cases, they will want to restrict
the codes to currencies they "understand" or trade in - and would want the
parser to intercept the "unsupported" currencies.
Extending the list is even rarer.

Personally, I think this is spurious logic;  it seems much easier to have
the schema serve only as a general purpose syntax "gate-keeper" - and to
enforce the use of particular currencies (e.g., USD, CAD, GBP and
EUR) within the application.  And if I were intent on allowing the use of a
currency not yet in the "authorized" list, I'd just intercept the parser
exception and check for the one or two unusual codes.

This insistence on "override" code lists must be a hold-over from the days
of EDI.  Nonetheless, it does provide an interesting problem to explore and
to see if the XML schema specification provides an elegant way to do code
list extensibility.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet
Columbus, OH 43221-3859 . USA