   RE: [xml-dev] Is there a way to reuse and extend an enumeration in XML s

  • To: "William J. Kammerer" <wkammerer@novannet.com>, "XML Developers List" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Is there a way to reuse and extend an enumeration in XML schema
  • From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 07:27:01 -0500

<Quote>
And as an aside, is there anything "substitutionGroup" does that "redefine" can't do better?
</Quote>

One large difference between the 2 approaches is that "redefine" requires that the new schema constructs (i.e. those the result from redefining an existing schema construct) belong to the same target namespace as the constructs that are being redefined, or that the new schema constructs are in no namespace. "substitutionGroup" has no such requirement.

In that regard, one might consider substitutionGroup to be more "flexible".

Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World