   Re: [xml-dev] XRules:Mind your own business rules

Subject: [xml-dev] XRules: Mind your own business rules

WALLEED wrote:
Hi everyone,
    Thanks to XML and Web services, we're on the verge of an explosive
growth in the amounts of data that our software applications exchange with
each other. Some might argue that we're already drowning in it, but I think

Hi Waleed,

Our company are posting our submission to the workshop today.

Idiom is a company and product that believes the story that you are telling about the need to deploy rules across organizational boundaries.
We can give you many examples in insurance and finance, health, logistics, government, and utlities.

These rules are often implementations of contract terms and conditions, and so anywhere that you find a contract, you find an opportunity for rules transfusion.

We agree that far more data will be transferred between parties in XML format. This is usually then instantiated as a DOM - and then the receiving usually wants to (in order) validate it, accept or approve it, value it (cost or price), determine downstream actions required to respond (workflow), and so on. All of these things are implementations of decision making behavior that is driven by the explosion of XML business messaging.

As you have suggested, we attach our rules to a DOM . We do not yet deploy a generic engine to interpret a language as you are proposing, but this is under consideration. Only the language is missing - you might want to look up this Workshop -          http://w3c.org/2004/12/rules-ws/cfp, it might be focused on the subject that you are raising.

Rather than deploying a language, we generate an implementation of the rules (Java, C#, or C++) which can be run directly against the DOM, or it can be  wrapped in SOAP, messaging wrappers, various containers (eg Sonic, Biztalk, Crossworlds), dll's etc.

Regards,
LEO

Idiom Ltd
http://www.idiomsoftware.com