   Re: [xml-dev] Fun With Schemas

Bullard, Claude L (Len) schrieb:

>This one is fun.  I know that a validating editor
>can use a schema or DTD to create a valid file.
>
>Can a program do this for files it creates dynamically?
>Are there examples of this?

does she code lisp?

if so, one way to do it is with a method combination for generic
function-based implementation of the serialization mechanism. the method
combination implementation uses the type of the data instance to be
encoded and the content specification of the target-encoding to write
the requisite effective encoding method on-the-fly. the runtime cost is
rather low, as the effective methods is generated once and compiled. the
only necessary overhead is one level of function invocation compared to
hand-coded in-line generation, but that's minor.

i recall reading about efforts in a similar direction in haskell, but my
knowledge of that is just second-hand.