   Re: [xml-dev] Fun With Schemas

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 9:24 pm, john c hardin wrote:
> Hey guys, take a look at the http://www.udef.org
> and http://www.opengroup.org/projects/udef/
>
> It is built to cross domains, in a very format independent way, meaning
> that it can be included in any format as an attribute, for example:
>
> <poid udefid=d.t.2_8>  is the same data element as
>
> <buyerordernumber udefid=d.t.2_8> which is the same as
>
> <purordnum udefid=d.t.2_8>
>

> d.t.2_8    is literally translated    purchase.order.document_number

It certainly looks very powerful. No doubt about that.

So what does that resolve to, an xpath? or something like that and
what languages are there currently implementations for?

Would it be used like this ? :

 (a) docno := myDoc.ReadIntegerElement('d.t.2_8');

to replace:

 (b) docno := myDoc.ReadIntegerElement('/references/document_number');

If so, I think it is a pretty useful piece of element mapping technology

Hardcoding xpaths, while on the surface looks good, immediately falls
apart with different document formats, and particularly with different
languages.

 docno := myDoc.ReadIntegerElement(LocalisedXPath('d.t.2_8','EN'));
 docno := myDoc.ReadIntegerElement(LocalisedXPath('d.t.2_8','DE'));

and of course back the other way (writing):

 myDoc.SetIntegerElement(LocalisedXPath('d.t.2_8','DE'),docno);

would set the document, modifying everything for the German locale...

Cool.....

--
Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.