   Re: [xml-dev] Looking for schema management/registry tool

Hi Marc,

You might consider the freebXML Registry open source project which
provides an ebXML Registry compliant with the latest ebXML Registry 3.0
specifications.
The project has release a 3.0-alpha2 release. However, the latest CVS
bits are stable, have many new features and bug fixes.
The project is entirely royalty free and provides "Federated, Secure,
Information Management" of any type of content and associated
metadata.

The metalink for freebXML Registry is at:

    http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/tmp/ebXMLRegistryLinks.html

There is an FAQ entry that describes how to use latest CVS bits.

Please see further comments inline below....

Marc de Graauw wrote:

>I am currently looking for a tool for a Dutch organization for schema
>management in a data exchange context.
>
>I am looking for a tool with the following capabilities:
>- storage and maintenance of data definitions and message definitions

freebXML Registry can be used to publish, manage, discover, govern and
version control any type of content.

>- generation of XML Schema and documentation from the above

This is outside the scope of freebXML Registry project. We envision such
functionality to
be layered on top of the registry in form of a Schema Assembly tool that
uses the registry
as a store for managing schemalets and schemas.

I had submitted the following abstract for an upcoming conference on
this subject:

http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/tmp/xtech2005FineGrainedXMLArtifactsMgmtAbstract.pdf

Unfortunately it was not accepted. If you are interested in
collaborating on building such
an application based on freebXML Registry then drop me a private email
and we can
brainstorm on possibilities.

>- version control / configuration & release management of the above

freebXML Registry 3.0 supports automatic registry managed version control of
metadata and content.

>- possibly registry-like capabilities to share the above definitions among
>organizations.

We are based on OASIS ebXML Registry standard (also ISO 15000 part 3 and 4).
The latest ebXML Registry 3.0 specs have just been submitted for final
OASIS approval
as a standard and if all goes well MAY be approved by end of April.

The freebXML Registry supports the following interface bindings:

-HTTP interface that allows registry artifacts to be accessible via a
URL (mudulo Access Control)

-SOAP interface that allows any SOAP client to access all features of
the registry

-JAXR API Provider that allows Java clients to use all features of the
registry using a standard JCP Approved Java API
that is also a required API in J2EE platform.

>Any suggestions for tools to look at?

The freebXML Registry provides a Java UI (fat client, accessible via
Java WebStart) and a Web UI (thin client) for performing
registry operations.

Hope this is in the ballpark of what you are looking for. Thanks.

--
Regards,
Farrukh