   Re: [xml-dev] Creating a XML Schema for an existing database

> You missed the impact of my second quote [2]:

Yep, I had missed the optionality therein.

> A processor _could_ choose to dispatch on lexical form and convert
> e.g. (anySimpleType)"3.0" to the appropriate member of the xs:decimal
> value space, but I'm not aware of any processor which does.

Yes. It seems like the appropriate behavior is to "cast" downward to the
more restricted type. But that can be error prone (in many programming
environments you will get an error when attempting to compare signed and
unsigned types or a warning about "widened both operands"). Another
approach would be to always use the key as the significant type and let
the reference type be less specific... of course then you get into weird
problems comparing "1.0" and "1"... maybe I see why you do it the way
you do it... :)

Thanks,
Jeff Rafter