   RE: [xml-dev] What Does SOAP/WS Do that A REST System Can't?

  • To: "Michael Champion" <michaelc.champion@gmail.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] What Does SOAP/WS Do that A REST System Can't?
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:01:42 -0800

I completely disagree with that. SOAP vs. REST is rich vs. reach. The
question is do I want a richer, more fully featured web service
interface(SOAP + WSDL) that is supported on a handful of tools and
platforms or a less featureful web service interface(REST/POX) that is
supported in a majority of tools and platforms?

If every platform had excellent support for SOAP+WSDL including the
monster that is XSD, then we wouldn't be having this debate. This is the
same way railing against Javascript-based websites became passe once
Firefox cloned a bunch of the IE-specific APIs and Google started using
them to build their newer websites.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
A man who can smile when everything has gone wrong has probably thought

rights.