   Re: [xml-dev] Re: What Does SOAP/WS Do that A REST System Can't?

On Apr 4, 2005 7:53 PM, david.lyon@computergrid.net
<david.lyon@computergrid.net> wrote:
> Quoting Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@rpbourret.com>:
>
> > David Lyon wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:46 am, Ronald Bourret wrote:

<snip/>

> > That would allow you to store it as XML and query it without
> > having to break out fields for storage in relational columns.
>
> Maybe...
>
> but I like sql databases like mysql, oracle, db2, sql-server etc..

Umm,  don't know about mysql but the rest all support "native" XML in
some form or other...

> while I
> might be a critical of isam inspired accounting system designs.. to me, sql is
> a perfect solution to making that ugly old world of isam go away, or at least
> be hidden from view.
>
> Doing inventory purely in xml is not nice. I can't see any easy way to make that
> happen.
>
> No matter how many good ideas there are, it's still a swamp... and it's always
> going to be a swamp... I can't see any way past that no matter how many nice
> walkways somebody wants to install...

This particular swamp might get filled in and drained: someday,
relatively soon now, at least one of those vendours you list may give
you xQuery complete with update support...

--
Peter Hunsberger