   Re: [xml-dev] Problem parsing XML file with Xerces-J

On Apr 4, 2005 5:27 PM, Kirkham, Pete (UK)
<pete.kirkham@baesystems.com> > You have a delay that you comment as
an interval; you may want to adjust the delay for the processing time
so it is more equal to the desired interval.

Ohh.. I think I must implement this suggestion.. Its extremely nice. I
am sending XML to the remote endpoint (which is always same). I was
thinking, what may be the reasonable time when no XML messages would
exist on remote server (lets say this time is 15 seconds in my
application). Assembling XML, and the sending process to remote
service takes some time (lets say time "t" ). So I can set the delay
time to 15 - t , which may become 5 seconds or so? Thank you so much.
So performance of my program increases by 3 times!

> You also are establishing 500 http connections, which will cost in time. You may want to (if it's to the same endpoint) only send one bulkier message, or to enqueue these and let a pool of threads process them outside of the polling loop (depending whether timeliness of polling or posting has higher priority).

Oh... This is also a nice suggestion for me. I can send a bulkier
message! The service provider has this feature. Presently for each
tag, I am opening/closing a HTTP connection, and sending XML over it.
Instead I can assemble a bulkier message, and send it at one go.
Unfortunately in our system, there is no concept of queue. I am just
given a HTTP URL,  which runs the service I need to call (and the
definition of XMLs I have to work with and other URL parameters).

THANK YOU so much.

Another un-related question I wish to discuss is:
Presently the service provider is exposing service as a plain HTTP URL
(which is a Servlet).. Would exposing a web service be a better idea?
The definition of service (i.e. XML DTD and the URL arguments) is
extremely simple. Web service may be heavy! I guess a plain HTTP URL
of 100% interoperable (between languages and platforms). While a web
service still has some interoperability issues.

Any opinions please?

best regards,