   Re: [xml-dev] What Does SOAP/WS Do that A REST System Can't?

> If you decide to go the POST route, what you want to avoid  are exposing
> controller URIs (all client requests go to one URI). At least give the
> things of interest (the equivalent of your objects in your domain model
> or your table rows in your physical data model) visible identity.

As a long-time fan of federated naming (XFN), I'm sympathetic to this
approach.  In some deployments, however, we've seen that it's not
appropriate:
	- If you're already POSTing the query, why require clients to
	  know "n" URL's rather than one?  Why "split up" the mesage?
	- There are concerns about directly exposing things like table
	  rows; I barely know SQL syntax, but I thought stored
	  procedures and views were the way to go
	- Concerns about exposing more than a single "generic" URI
	  to outside parties; more choke-points to manage, more things
	  to forward/change when deployments or architectures change
	  internally

We often talk about exposing a single generic URI and using
content-based routing to achieve "service-oriented NAT," and find that
customers like this approach.

	/r$

--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect