   Re: [xml-dev] What Does SOAP/WS Do that A REST System Can't?

Rich Salz wrote:
> As a long-time fan of federated naming (XFN), I'm sympathetic to this
> approach.  In some deployments, however, we've seen that it's not
> appropriate:
>     - If you're already POSTing the query, why require clients to
>       know "n" URL's rather than one?  Why "split up" the mesage?

Why do the clients have to known "n" URLs?

POST to a URL.
Receive 302 See Other with a Location header.
Perform a GET on the URL in the Location header to see the results.

Many (all?) HTTP libraries do this sequence automatically. No training
required.

 >     - Concerns about exposing more than a single "generic" URI
 >       to outside parties; more choke-points to manage, more things
 >       to forward/change when deployments or architectures change
 >       internally

And corollary: more flexibility about changing deployment/architecture
over a site in pieces rather than having to change a single controller
URI or splice in additional functionality.

L.