   Re: [xml-dev] Open source request....

David Lyon wrote:

 > but there are undoubtably lots of issues...  and I have basic questions that
 > relate to financial survival so forth... not that I'm struggling or anything
 > like that I just would prefer things to go up rather than down...
 >
 > If there are people that have gone through this process and it has helped them
 > then I'd certainly like to hear any comments (on list).

This is probably not what you were after:

1) Don't expect financial viability. If you work is good,
    you can expect a gain in reputation, which may help you.
    Financial rewards may come, but don't bet on it.
2) For me, it was about using OpenSource and giving back, about sharing
    knowledge freely, about doing something against software patents.
    This is a philosophical point of view that not everybody shares.
3) I have a full-time job, and so I didn't have financial interest.
    I basically open-sourced software that I was working on anyway.
4) As a consequence, even in my situation, I was spending
    a sizable amount of time on it. It is a lot of work to package
    the software, and make it easy to install and document it,
    even after the coding is done. For me, all of this was/is a good
    learning experience.
5) I used the simplest license I could find that still allows
    me to get credit for my work - the BSD license. All the other
    licenses are a horror to read.

Karl