   RE: [xml-dev] Open source request....

>     Michael
>
>     What has you experience been with the split licensing model? The
>     Saxon-B versus Saxon-SA?

Reasonably successful, I think. Saxonica lives mainly on consultancy, but
there's enough license revenue coming in to finance the continued
development of the product.

But remember that Saxon has frequently been in the top 100 SourceForge
projects, with 250 or so downloads per day.

>     How have you driven the adoption of your software?

Entirely bottom up: get the people who use it to persuade their boss to pay
for it. None of this "selling direct to the CIO" stuff.

>     One thing that strikes me about Saxon is how quickly questions
>     are answered in the mailing list, and how often those answers
>     come from the author himself.
>
>     When do you ever find time to code?

What else is there to do in hotels and airports...?

You just have to be obsessive about it.

The thing I found quite dramatic was how fast you can code if you get rid of
project managers, marketeers, junior programmers, and every other kind of
colleague who has their own ideas on what to do next. In fact, not having
paying customers helps a lot too, though I no longer have that luxury.

Michael Kay