   Re: [xml-dev] The Rising Sun: How XML Binary Restored the Fortunesof In

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> I could well be wrong about
> that, but it would be truly ironic if two weeks after binary XML goes to
> REC, some grad student somewhere releases a text parser that beats the
> pants off the binary parsers.

I think everyone (at least, everyone worth mentioning) wants precisely
that to happen, though preferably yesterday rather than after some
binary XML Rec is developed. So what would happen then? A spec would
have been developed but failed to make the right time to market. It gets
no adoption and dies the lonely death of obsolete specs. Would that be
an issue? I don't think so. Specs fail all the time. The question is
whether we can really bet on that to happen or not, and if it doesn't
happen who would you rather took care of the problem?

> I suspect this would be more likely to happen if companies like Sun
> devoted their brain power to XML parsing algorithms rather than
> inventing new formats.

There's a huge market for a much faster parser that can also fit into a
mobile device. No one wants binary XML, and if everyone could get that
much faster XML parser then people wouldn't even be thinking about
binary XML. I know I'd be doing something involving mojitos, black jack,
and hookers instead.

Some large companies have been putting very fine brains to work on
faster XML parsing but so far there isn't much that's been seen. Either
they don't want to make money from it or they haven't advanced far
enough. I'd sure really like to hear more than "we've worked on it".

There'd still be the pesky compression issue, but maybe if we had much
faster parsers it could be solved at another level.

--
Robin Berjon
   Research Scientist