   RE: [xml-dev] The Rising Sun: How XML Binary Restored the Fortunes of I

> No, not at all. You can't just skip to the end-tag. You have to check
> everything in between for well-formedness errors that may be there
> irrespective of whether the end-tag is correctly placed or not.

One of the ways XML parsing could be made faster, whether it's in binary or
character form, would be to allow a parser to skip some of the checking if
it has reason to trust the sender to generate only well-formed documents. In
fact, that's arguably allowed now: the parser is required to report errors
if they are there, but there's nothing that says it can't use out-of-band
mechanisms to establish that the checks are unnecessary.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/