   Re: [xml-dev] XML-enabled databases, XQuery APIs

Ken North wrote:

> When you store a document in a text column, it's searchable using SQL queries.
> Those queries use the indexing capabilities of software such as Oracle
> interMedia Text Cartridge, DB2 Text Extender and Microsoft Search service.

Yes, but suppose I want to find all occurrences of the string "Now is
the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country." XML
unaware full text search would not normally find "<strong>Now</strong>
is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country."

More importantly, if I have XML data then I normally want to use the
markup to delimit and index the searches. For instance, I might want to
find all prescriptions of Xanax with a dosage of 5mg, not all
occurrences of the word "Xanax" somewhere near the text "5mg". If we're
just storing everything in a CLOB, we might as well be using flat files.
The markup has meaning. It should be used to inform and optimize the
queries.