   Re: [xml-dev] XML-enabled databases, XQuery APIs

Hi Harold,

Just too good a question to miss out on stating an
uninvited opinion... :-)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 5:57 am, Elliotte Harold wrote:
> More importantly, if I have XML data then I normally want to use the
> markup to delimit and index the searches. For instance, I might want to
> find all prescriptions of Xanax with a dosage of 5mg, not all
> occurrences of the word "Xanax" somewhere near the text "5mg".

Absolutely you do.

So you need to be able to include the xpath of what you want to search in and
what you want to find. Also the document type, date range, trading partner
etc.

> If we're
> just storing everything in a CLOB, we might as well be using flat files.

But in a database you can organise easily by date, trading partner,
document type. Most systems have more than one document type
in them.

> The markup has meaning. It should be used to inform and optimize the
> queries.

Sounds tricky...

--
Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.