   RE: [xml-dev] XML-enabled databases, XQuery APIs

> I think this sums things up nicely and also matches the degree of
> implementation difficulty. One also shouldn't discount the utility of
> the simpler storage mechanisms -- there's always applications
> for which they are sufficient.

Yes: important point. I've seen applications that needed to store 100,000
XML documents and retrieve them by a simple key value. That's too many to
handle comfortably in filestore, and good-old-ISAM files don't seem to be
available in the things that pass for operating systems these days, so an
RDBMS, while grossly over-engineered for the job, is probably the right
answer.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/