   Re: [xml-dev] XML-enabled databases, XQuery APIs

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 01:03:13PM -0500, Peter Hunsberger wrote:
> On 4/15/05, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:
[...]
>> It's not difficult to do it. It's just difficult to do it in such a way that
>> you can reassemble a shredded document of any size before the kettle has
>> boiled.

[..]

> Don't know what you mean by "any size", but in our current case we
> have one screen that has about 9 documents some of which are several K
> in size.

I used a "shredding" system (I didn't design or build it) working on
aircraft manuals once.  A "tiny" document was about 5 megabytes of
text (i.e. not including graphics) and took 45 minutes to copy on a
high-end SPARC server.  Documents with 150,000 pages were not unheard
of in that industry, although 10,000 was more common.  You get similar
complexity in other industries, and it's why they turned early on to
using SGML as part of their document management strategy.  "Just go
through 150,000 pages and change every part 2003 to part 1826, but
be careful not to affect dates" etc etc, the story we all know.

If your documents are only "several K" [Kbytes?] in size you have
a lot more flexibility.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/