   RE: [xml-dev] XML-enabled databases, XQuery APIs

See below.

Best regards
Michael

[Michael Rys] See my other response.

> What is the efficiency or effectiveness of the indices and
> queries given radically different kinds of XML document types
> (eg, querying over a business document in XML vs a vector
> graphic in XML)?  Or put another way, how does the document
> type as instanced in the XML datatype affect querying performance?

[Michael Rys] Well, that depends heavily on the type of queries that you
plan on running. The answer is about the same as if you would ask me
about how efficient or effective the indices and the query optimizer is
for different kinds of relational schemata (OLTP, OLAP, lots of tables
with lots of columns etc.).

It certainly does affect it, but the question at the moment should be
more along the lines of: If your data fits the relational model and all
you need is a relational processor, should you store the data as XML or
should you shred it. And my answer today is: Just shred it.

> Thanks Michael.  I look forward to the publication of the paper.
> Please post a note to the list when that happens.
[Michael Rys] Will do.

> len
>

> From: Michael Rys [mailto:mrys@microsoft.com]
>
> Good picture :-).
>
> Although you can also use indices to find branches inside the trees
> using XPath/XQuery...
>
> Dana Florescu, Don Chamberlin and I have organized a tutorial for
SIGMOD

(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321180607/musionxmlxque-20?crea