   A Stakeholder's Response: XQuery APIs for Middle Tier and Clients

Mike Champion suggested that users don't want to use XQuery APIs on
the middle tier or for clients, and that the only people who suggest
otherwise are "stakeholders".

We're one of those XQuery "stakeholders" Mike refers to - if I
understand the term, it means someone who is willing to bet money on
the question. I don't think that disqualifies us from having an
opinion. We think we have data that says there is such a market, and
are building a product plan based on this. I'm trying to figure out
why we're getting such different feedback from the hundreds of
customers we are working with.

We plan to release an XQuery product this Fall, implementing XQuery on
the Java Platform, supporting most popular relational databases as
well XML documents in files or in a Java program. This product is
aimed directly at the middle tier and at clients, where a lot of the
software used for web messages or web sites actually lives, especially
when the software is doing data integration.

Our growing beta list for DataDirect XQuery suggests that there really
is a demand for this kind of product in the Java space. Can it really
be that different in the .NET space?

We also have some data from our Stylus Studio users that indicates (1)
significant interest in XQuery - in an environment used by many XSLT
develpers, and (2) concrete interest in XQuery in the Java
client/middle tier. The Stylus marketing team just posted one scenario
from NASA: http://www.stylusstudio.com/xquery/cust_nasa.html.

Jonathan
Program Manager, DataDirect XQuery