   incompatible uses of XML Schema

I just got a call from a bespoke client (the XML guru in a large bank)
asking whether I knew of any XML Schema refactoring tools.

His problem is that one of their systems (from a big company)
does not handle recursive elements.  Another one of their
systems (from another big company) does not handle substitution
groups (or, at least, dynamic use of xsi:type.) Another of their
systems (from a third big company) does not handle wildcards.
(Some departments also used another tool that generated ambiguous
schemas.)

This is causing them a major headache: they are having to
refactor 7,000 element schemas by hand to munge them into
forms suited for each system.

Their schema-centricism has basically stuffed up the ready
interoperability they thought they were buying into with XML,
on a practical level. This is obviously a trap: moving to a
services-oriented architecture means that the providers can
say "we provide XML with a schema" and the pointy-headed bosses
can say "you service-user: this tool accepts XML with a schema
so you must use that!" and the service-user has little recourse.

Does anyone know of any XML Schema refactoring tools that can,
say, replace substitution groups with explicit lists of
elements in a schema?  I am half thinking of developing a Topologi
utility for this: any other requests in this area?

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe