   RE: [xml-dev] A Stakeholder's Response: XQuery APIs for Middle Tier and

  • To: "Jonathan Robie" <jonathan.robie@datadirect.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] A Stakeholder's Response: XQuery APIs for Middle Tier and Clients
  • From: "Michael Rys" <mrys@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:54:48 -0700

Citing from the NASA scenario paper:

" We now use XQuery for extracting data from structured XML documents
stored in an XML database and this process has dramatically improved the
querying capabilities of our existing applications"

This sounds like exactly what Mike (and I) have been saying: XQuery is
good as a query language on XML data stores.

And Jonathan: We have never said anything regarding XQuery APIs. What we
have said is that so far we have not seen much user requests for an
XQuery engine on the mid-tier. I probably have seen a few more such
requests than Mike, but until the standard is done, most of our
customers that have expressed an opinion take at best a wait and see
attitude regarding XQuery in .Net (they are not interested in us
generating another MSXSL vs XSLT situation).

Best regards
Michael

Tier