   Re: [xml-dev] A Stakeholder's Response: XQuery APIs for Middle Tier and

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 3:54 pm, Michael Rys wrote:
> Citing from the NASA scenario paper:
>
> " We now use XQuery for extracting data from structured XML documents
> stored in an XML database and this process has dramatically improved the
> querying capabilities of our existing applications"

Good to hear that Nasa finally got the problem fixed. Can we deduce that
earlier Shuttle problems may have been attributed to poor XML retrieval
tools?

Sorry - just couldn't let that one pass... :-)

> This sounds like exactly what Mike (and I) have been saying: XQuery is
> good as a query language on XML data stores.

That's right. And it's probably only hindered by the lack of easily
searchable xml data out there.

In business, I feel that there is so much more data that could, should and
will go into xml.

However I'm not sure about the middle tier, or the traditional three tiers. In
the computer industry here, it's very hard for smaller players to keep web
sites maintained and operational. xml is much better.

I favour an architecture a bit like this:

 - top tier = Accounting System
 - middle tier = xml communication system (talks to - world)
 - bottom tier = sql (xml document) database repository

Anyway, it's probably idealistic and as an idea, old as the hills. But in
smaller enterprises I really think it still has gas in the tank.

So the idea of xquery is something that could be incredibly popular in the
future if we can increase and organise the transfer of xml a bit better than
we have been doing in the past.

I think the whole of xml-dev would be stakeholders in that.

David

--
Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.