   Re: [xml-dev] newbie XUpdate how to use with java!

* Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> [2005-04-20 15:41]:

> > I start working with XML, I have to modify a document
> > by adding new elements. I know that I must use XUpdate
> > syntax but in java what class, method do I call to
> > send the XUpdate query and execute it?
>
> XUpdate is designed essentially for updating documents within XML databases.
> For updating standalone documents, the usual approach is to use XSLT to
> transform the old document to a new document, which you can then use to
> overwrite the old document if you wish. XSLT has a well-defined Java API
> (JAXP) which is supported by three or four different XSLT processing
> engines, including my own Saxon product.

    Indeed, learn XSLT. XUpdate is no longer under active
    development. There are a precious few implementations, most of
    which are attached to a database implementation. The
    specification was never completed, and the web site that once
    hosted the specification now has a domain squatter page on it.

    Learn about XSLT. There is an active an helpful communicty at a
    mailing list called xsl-list.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com
    - http://engrm.com/blogometer/index.html