   Re: [xml-dev] newbie XUpdate how to use with java!

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 11:15 -0400, Alan Gutierrez wrote:

>     Indeed, learn XSLT. XUpdate is no longer under active
>     development.  There are a precious few implementations, most of
>     which are attached to a database implementation. The
>     specification was never completed, and the web site that once
>     hosted the specification now has a domain squatter page on it.

Wow.  Is this XUpdate FUD week?

The XML:DB pages and XUpdate page do *not* have a "domain squatter" on
them, as can be proven by the simple expedient of visiting them in a
browser:

http://xmldb-org.sourceforge.net/
http://xmldb-org.sourceforge.net/xupdate/xupdate-wd.html

See also:

http://www.xmldatabases.org/projects/XUpdate-UseCases/

XUpdate is under the care of XML:DB, but it has always been understood
to be applicable for any XML update needs.  Do you say that XML can only
be used on the Web because it is maintained by the W3C?

XUpdate has never been as formalized as, say W3C specs, but then again
neither has EXSLT, and I don't see many people discounting EXSLT for all
that.  In fact, there is a very strong parallel between XUpdate and
EXSLT in terms of being simple, community driven, and generally special-
interest-free, and thus sometimes scrappy and unpolished, yet always
useful.

As for implementations, I know of over a dozen, about half of which have
nothing to do with DBMS, including the implementation in 4Suite.  Again,
this is a similar count to EXSLT's.

XSLT has its place (I use it a lot).  XUpdate has its place (I use it a
lot).  Let's just leave off the FUD.

--
Uche Ogbuji                               Fourthought, Inc.
http://uche.ogbuji.net                    http://fourthought.com