   Re: [xml-dev] A Stakeholder's Response: XQuery APIs for Middle Tier and

>> I think it's very clear that the survey in question is a non-probabilistic
sample

Here's the description of the XQuery survey methodology:

"We emailed over 75,000 IT professionals, and also had the
survey posted on our website.  We obtained email address from
tradeshow lists, direct marketing lists, registered customers
and our entire customer prospect list."

The phrase "survey posted on our web site" is an indicator of a
non-probabilistic sample.

Identifying a target group, such as IT professionals, J2EE users, InfoWorld
readers, and sending them a survey is cluster-based sampling. Admittedly it's
not as random as standing on Fifth Avenue and pulling people every 10th person
off the street.

BEA reported a survey about SOA and open source software adoption by European
developers. It surveyed 1000 developers attending conferences in Europe and:
- 75% indicated they'd adopted SOA, or planned to do so within 12 months.
- 42% said they weren't using open source software because of licensing issues.

>> I just want to hear people's use cases and come to a better-informed opinion
on whether XSLT 1.0 or 2.0 does the job for them, whether
XQuery does it better ...

Perhaps you should survey developers attending TechEd.

>> it is difficult to make a compelling case for XQuery there

We know that new technologies go through several phases from early to widespread
adoption. C, C++, SQL, Windows, Linux and so on had a history of it taking years
to gain mindshare. The clock will start ticking when the spec is a done deal.

The real issue, if you're a BEA, Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, other software vendor
or open source provider, is opportunity cost. What are your losses if a
competitor or open source project fills the gap while you're deciding?