   Re: [xml-dev] Something altogether different?

Dare Obasanjo wrote
What Bosworth is pointing out is that the Web is different from 'the enterprise'

Bill de hÓra wrote:
> If such a clean convenient split existed between enterprise systems and
> the Web, we wouldn't need to have this conversation. Aside from the
> usual inter-enterprise scenarios, content management and workflow
> systems come to mind as having a lot of gray to them in terms of
> deployment and data format choices.

Organizations that deploy enterprise systems don't have 8 billion HTML pages,
but they often have very large document collections. I once worked on a
knowledge
base of engineering procedures that contained 1.5 million pages of text and
drawings. It was one system in an organization that had many systems.

If RSS had been available then, it would have been useful for notification of
changes to procedures.

Aren't portals such as MSDN, Oracle Technet, Sun Developer Network, IBM
developerWorks really enterprise systems? MSDN is certainly a key ingredient of
Microsoft's business plan.

I don't think Dell, eBay or amazon.com would survive without a web presence and
online sales applications. Those are certainly mission-critical enterprise
applications.