   Does Enterprise Mean anything any more, in terms of XML dev?

I see a likely future where its not google and yahoo suing each other, but us. That is, suing those that choose to document the APIs/RSS extensions and create common libraries of them, to allow remixing and mashup.

Fwiw Dare is probably thinking clearly because he is at MSN, which is where innovation happens in near real time at Microsoft. One of the only places it does, these days.

The web is different from the "enterprise". Of course it is. But that is not to say business is different from the web, or the enterprise. Indeed I would argue distinctions are breaking down fast. Which is one reason we're quarrelling over minutae, - that is these issues are actually important to the web and the enterprise.

Actually its kind of odd, as an "IT industry analyst" focusing on the enterprise, I am less and less concerned about "enterprise" technologies. Look at the companies that outsource business processes to Amazon. One of my favourite examples is coming back from Microsoft Tech Ed in Copenhagen. I wanted a picture of bill gates. I found one for free, with suitable copyright waivers, in a about ten seconds on Flickr. Who needs an "enterprise" photo library.

Just so you don't get me wrong, I also happen to think MQSeries has a role to play in business, as does zSeries, SQL and other "enterprise" technologies. Its not they are hopeless so much as hypeless. They are about real-life, my "day job", what I have spent 10 years of my life learning. That doesn't make them any more "right" - or "wrong".

I am most excited by the intersections and convergences, though, rather than the polarities.

Enterprise/non-Enterprise distinctions also throw up weird politics. Thus Big Media Cartels are "enterprise", where IT firms selling to consumers aren't. is content enterprise or not?

We know whose business models are in the firing line...

Goes a bit bonkers from here on: I think I feel a blog coming on

The Enterprise is an anachronism. It's a spaceship flying through space where the captain can make individual decisions that will dictate the success or lack of it, of the enterprise. But we're not flying space ships guys, we're just not that self-sufficient or isolated. Maybe we need to think a lot more about the Federation, the Empire, or something. Just as no man is an island, no enterprise is a spaceship.

I mean the captain's log, Stardate whatever- surely it would actually be a massively subscribed blog - Kirk as the Scoble of the future, wheras in the TV show, it always seemed like he was just writing it for himself, and like a black box. Where was the comms.

Does anyone know about the origins of the term enterprise in corporate America - was it pre or post Star Trek.