   RE: [xml-dev] Does Enterprise Mean anything any more, in terms of XML de

I suspect it is pre by a good bit but not in the way we use it now.
I don't think it had anything to do with Star Trek or even the WWW.

He was writing it for the Academy and Starfleet.  It was in the
capsule they dropped whenever they thought they were about to die.
Whenever they found a dead starship, it was the first thing they
restored even when it was 'damaged beyond repair', which means it
may have been marked-up. ;-)  They could always figure out the
technical damage to the ship; it was the decisions that led to the death of
the ship they wanted to analyze.  Consider it 23rd Century Corporate
Memory plus forensics.

<personalTestimony>
I know that in my case, I wrote my paper on Enterprise Engineering
for the CALS conference in 1989/90 because it was superstitious
acquisition of learning that concerned me.  It wasn't missing but
corrupt or mistaken information that was the issue, plus the high
cost and slow processes of paper pushing.  At GE, we wanted to
put systems into nation-states coming from behind the iron curtain
where work ethics had failed and late 20th century modernization
of manufacturing hadn't happened.  We knew that crap at lightspeed
was crappy light.  The nature of the network as an idea amplifier was a
lesson learned from Doug Englebart and Norbert Wiener.

We didn't invent anything.  The implications of markup and networked
communications were pretty obvious pre-web for anyone who was in the nexus
of hypertext, object systems, and SGML.  I followed my paper with
Information Ecosystems
later as it became more and more obvious that documents were just messages
that
varied by lifecycle and addressability and what that revealed to me was how
evolution works in dynamic systems that exchange messages.  The enterprise
itself, is just a
confederated or federated set of communicating entities typically arranged
as a
hierarchy of entities tied together by a network of ports.  Chaos theory
tossed
in concepts of self-similar systems, atractors, etc.
</personalTestimony>

Again, it all comes down to where you can afford to be certain or uncertain.
We've never
really gotten beyond Boltzman and Shannon.  Entropy is missing information
(a damaged
captain's log).

We just keep renaming it and looking for better algorithms which is why
quantum logic is
intuitively fascinating even if ultimately not productive.

XML counts merely because it enables us to simplify the one thing
we all can share: a syntax and an impliable structure for data.  Turns out
there is a lot of
bang for the buck in doing that.  You can often fix the Captain's log by
implying the
missing information.  If it fits in a space of a certain kind, you know what
is missing.

len

From: Governor James [mailto:jgovernor@redmonk.com]

The Enterprise is an anachronism. It's a spaceship flying through space
where the captain can make individual decisions that will dictate the
success or lack of it, of the enterprise. But we're not flying space ships
guys, we're just not that self-sufficient or isolated. Maybe we need to
think a lot more about the Federation, the Empire, or something. Just as no
man is an island, no enterprise is a spaceship.

I mean the captain's log, Stardate whatever- surely it would actually be a
massively subscribed blog - Kirk as the Scoble of the future, wheras in the
TV show, it always seemed like he was just writing it for himself, and like
a black box. Where was the comms.

Does anyone know about the origins of the term enterprise in corporate
America - was it pre or post Star Trek.