   Re: [xml-dev] When to namespace a vocabulary?

Hi, David,

Sorry - I didn't think this would be easy to explain.

> what is in the xml documents and what the vocabulary is for.

The vocabulary is used for the exchange of information about qualifications. The current documents are used to allow standards setting bodies to set what standards are required to pass a particular qualification. The standards (there a number of different types of standard hence the namespace) are part of a classification tree (which is where my classification / standards dependency comes in as classification is a separate namespace) and this has to be modeled in the XML documents. The documents are exchanged between standards setting bodies and the government dept responsible for administering Qualification standards. In the future this vocabulary may be used sector wide between a number of government institutions, schools, universities, etc.

> Whether it is an Oasis vocab or one you are building yourself.

The vocabulary will incorporate the OASIS xNAL vocabulary for modeling contact information (names and addresses) but a significant part of it will be about modeling things like qualifications, standards, learners, etc. which MAY go one to be incorporated into a sector wide data model.

> Also, it's unclear where a traditional rdms falls short of being able to
> organise companies into categories and classifications. As they tend do that
> rather well.
The client is currently more interested in a web services for the exchange of this kind of information.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Cheers,

Fraser

david.lyon@computergrid.net wrote:
Fraser,

Many things are unclear here, such as what is in the xml documents and what the
vocabulary is for. Whether it is an Oasis vocab or one you are building
yourself.

Also, it's unclear where a traditional rdms falls short of being able to
organise companies into categories and classifications. As they tend do that
rather well.

So if information is available on these things then it would probably help
people to offer a bit more information.

Regards

David

Quoting Fraser Crichton <fraser.crichton@solnetsolutions.co.nz>:

Hi,

I'm currently developing a set of schemas for a Government Department
which deals with education and I've got some questions about managing
dependencies and namespaces. This is a bit tricky to describe so please
bear with me.

Currently I have the following namespaces corresponding to individual
schema files (these are just example dummy URIs to get the concept over)

LEVEL 1 - "core business object Schemas"

organisationName:classification

organisationName:standard

organisationName:qualification

LEVEL 2 - "Instance Schemas"

Specific document and message formats which implement various elements
from each namespace and other OASIS namespaces.

I'm about to remodel this to avoid dependencies between my level 1 core
schemas and I also have the feeling that this level or granularity maybe
unnecessary (?).

I think I have three options -

1) Create one organisation wide namespace containing models of
classifications, standards and qualifications in the one file (I like
this because in the future it might be clearer where we can separate out
namespace specific objects once it's clearer where that may be necessary).

2) Chain the Level 1 schemas. My main dependency problem comes when I
try to model a classification tree that contains standards so I guess I
could import standards into classifications.

3) Create another namespace between level 1 and 2. I don't really think
that's a solution just an option.

I guess my main question is -

What things do you think about when you decide a schema requires split
up into different namespaces?

Can you point me at any articles on best practice in this area?

Does anybody have any thoughts or experience?

Does anybody know what I'm on about??

Cheers,

Fraser

SolNet Solutions Limited
L12, SolNet House, 70 The Terrace
PO Box 397, Wellington, Aotearoa / New Zealand
<http://www.solnetsolutions.co.nz>
<mailto:fraser.crichton@solnetsolutions.co.nz>

Attention:
This email may contain information intended for the sole use of
the original recipient. Please respect this when sharing or
disclosing this email's contents with any third party. If you
believe you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify the sender or postmaster@solnetsolutions.co.nz as
soon as possible. The content of this email does not necessarily
reflect the views of SolNet Solutions Ltd.

Fraser Crichton
XML Developer
SolNet Solutions Limited
L12, SolNet House, 70 The Terrace
PO Box 397, Wellington, Aotearoa / New Zealand
www.solnetsolutions.co.nz
DDI: 04-462-5078
Mob: 027-278-3392
Fax: 04-462-5011