   Re: [xml-dev] When to namespace a vocabulary?

Fraser - some thoughts.....

The issue that I would emphasise is that all usage of data is hierarchical.
This is because there is always a single context for any transaction i.e. a
transaction always has context.

So, the issue is to build a model [an XSD is a model] that suits your
current usage context and build around it.
If the same or similar model is used in another context, transform it. Dont
get hung up on modelling the world before you build your first transaction -
you probably can't get it right for a single transaction, let alone for all
possible transactions.

I had a colleague once who [ERD] modelled individual names using 20
different data tables (this exercise in futility was paid for by one of the
top four Australian banks). Not successfull - it modelled the world (of
names) but was not usable for any individual transaction.

We work with a lot of companies who could/would use industry schemas [MDDL,
ACORD, HL7, etc]. You are attempting the same task, albeit within a smaller
domain. All of the companies that I have worked with use the 'other' nodes
liberally. I have never seen an industry schema used as intended . .  what
could be the problem??

Cheers
LEO