   RE: [xml-dev] incompatible uses of XML Schema

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] incompatible uses of XML Schema
  • From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:19:04 +0200

On mer, 2005-04-27 at 09:39 +0100, Michael Kay wrote:
> Just don't use the tools that don't conform.
>
> It's not actually that hard to write a conformant schema processor, or at
> least to get to the 98% mark where the only non-conformances are in areas
> where the spec writers themselves still have debates about the exact
> meaning. I did it in less than six months with Saxon. If people stopped
> using non-conformant tools, suppliers would stop producing them.

Sure!

The issue is more general: many (if not most) people do not rate
conformance to the standards higher than other "features".

That's true for schema processors, XML IDEs but that's also the case in
many other domains including web browsers (if people stopped using non
conformant web browsers, suppliers would stop producing them).

That requires a lot of education and that's often tough to justify...
What do you answer to someone that tells you that, of course standard
conformance is important but that she/he prefers using a tool that gives
a view she/he can understand than a tool which is perfectly conformant
but that she/he can't understand?

Eric

--
Le premier annuaire des apiculteurs 100% XML!
                                                http://apiculteurs.info/