   Re: [xml-dev] incompatible uses of XML Schema

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] incompatible uses of XML Schema
  • From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:13:59 +1000

Michael Kay wrote:

>Just don't use the tools that don't conform.
>
>It's not actually that hard to write a conformant schema processor, or at
>least to get to the 98% mark where the only non-conformances are in areas
>where the spec writers themselves still have debates about the exact
>meaning. I did it in less than six months with Saxon. If people stopped
>using non-conformant tools, suppliers would stop producing them.

Give Michael the RMS award for DIY-ism!

Err, less than six months for a great programmer steeped in XML and
involved in discussions
about XQuery/XPath2/XSLT and its type system, and attending conferences,
and
who is on personal terms with many people involved in designing the
language.
It may take a couple of extra days for someone else :-)

(I have heard rumours that some people find the XML Schemas specifications
a little hard to follow in a couple of places.)

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe