   RE: [xml-dev] XSD spec question

Please see comments below marked with [JMC].

From: Razvan MIHAIU [mailto:mihaiu@mihaiu.name]
Sent: Wed 4/27/2005 12:33 AM
To: Eric van der Vlist
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XSD spec question

Eric van der Vlist wrote:
On mar, 2005-04-26 at 13:22 -0700, Chris Griffin wrote:

In section 3.14.2 of http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/ it says "{any
attributes with non-schema namespace . . . }" Does that mean I can
add my own attributes? For example can I do this:

  <simpleType name="myName" xyz:myattribute="something">
   . . .
  </simpleType>

Exactly!

Eric

    I was not aware of this feature before. In fact, if the above is true, it is not possible to validate an XML Schema (which itself is an XML document) against a DTD because there is no way to specify in a DTD that an element can have any attributes.

[JMC] Why would you want to validate an XML against a DTD, when an XML schema validator will serve this purpose?

    The obvious question is why would you need attributes outside the XML Schema specification ?

[JMC] That's actually a rather unclear question. The XML Schema specification includes the ability to declare attributes. You declare attributes as you need, as long as your XML schema conforms to the W3C Schema specification. Sounds like you are thinking one "meta" layer too far.

Kind Regards,

Joseph Chiusano

Booz Allen Hamilton

 If you extend an XML Schema in such a way then you defeat one of the main goals of XML, which is to be portable (only you tool will understand the custom attributes)

--
Regards,
Razvan

SCJP preparation material: