   Re: [xml-dev] XSD spec question

Gregor wrote:

>The fact that that the Schema for Schemas can not be used for
>validating schemas can be checked here.
>(A reply by Xerces Project Lead Gareth Reakes to my mailinglist post
>on xerces-user-j on apache.org:
>http://blog.parthenoncomputing.com/xerces/archives/2005/04/can_i_validate.html
>
>However, his is not in-line with the original design goals from 1999:
>
>http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-xml-schema-req
>"The XML schema language must:...
>define a useful XML schema for XML schemas;"
>
>The schema for schemas may be found here:
>http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd
>
>Maybe somebody can tell me what its use is if we can not use it in validation?

Bootstrapping is a special case. Schema processors are not required to
handle
the formal schema for schemas: its purpose is in part to express the
built-in parts
of the type-system using the same notation as actual schemas use.

But it is possible to derive a usable schema for schemas by editing the
formal
schema for schemas. That is what Topologi products use, for example.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe