   Re: [xml-dev] Jim Gray article on Next Generation Databases

On Wed, 4 May 2005 3:15 pm, Ken North wrote:
> > Forgive my cinicisism, but if somebody could explain how
> > that is different to high-end messaging in the '90s I'd certainly
> > appreciate it.
>
> That seems to be the point, except today we're also talking about SOAP,
> XML-RPC (XML documents in the payload).

Oh ok... so we've changed the terminology... and just kept
the "next generation" bit. I thought it was like groundhog day.

> > Also, with queueing of messages, how is this principle
> > relevant to smaller enterprises? Since in any one day
> > they might only receive about 20 documents.
>
> It's asynchronous (like voicemail) so the sender doesn't have to worry
> about establishing a synchronous connection.

Ok, but I just sent a Purchase Order a minute ago to a
Supplier using XML -> PDF via email. How is what you are
talking about better...?

> Unlike the '90s, you don't have to purchase a messaging middleware product.
> Microsoft's MSMQ comes "in the box" with the operating system. There's
> freely-downloadable ebXML Messaging software, for example.

how would that work if they don't have ebxml or msmq?

Anyway, I know what you are talking about, I'm just saying that
it is a very hard sell... considering that there are much easier
ways to accomplish the same thing.

Regards

David

--
Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.