   RE: [xml-dev] More on Vector Models

It's a service.  Given language variants and
use of apriori knowledge about the event, a
VSM engine works for any lump of text you
give it.  Then you leverage what the
relational DB knows about the metadata.

VSM is yet another means to sort a bag of
words and determine its relevance to
other things in the space.  Because every
enterprise has lots of word bags, it is a
trick worth knowing and it isn't hard to
implement, so if Bill's Guys or Jonathan's
Guys or Your Guys want to build one and use
it, it's doable, not exotic.  I'll bet Tim Bray
can knock it out in an afternoon and put it
on his Atom feeds the next day, then put a page
on his server for searching his blogs all
working inside a week or less.  Heck, there
is a PERL script out there to do it for free.

VSM comes under the heading of stupid pet
tricks that work remarkably well.  Old tech, yes,
but again, that's a good thing.  If you want
the bleeding edge, you move on to quantum logic
systems which have a lot of promise but likely
require quantum computers (from what I read but
I am no expert).

What I can say is that when the hardware
is ready, the mathematicians are already there.

len

From: David Lyon [mailto:david.lyon@computergrid.net]

Of course, xml needs a good classification system to
be truly effective in a business context.

but I guess as Ken says, it's all wrapped into the
operating system these days. (Pity though it is an
undocumented feature)