   RE: [xml-dev] Well-established uses of processing instructions?

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Well-established uses of processing instructions?
  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 04:45:18 +1000 (EST)

>> But PIs used to generate text are non-portable, and so
>> appropriate for
>> documents
>> that are being pre-processed. Probably what should be used is
>>  entities:
>>
>> ENTITY current-data SYSTEM
> "http://www.eg.com/dynamic?get-current-date";>
>>
>> because the information is data content.
>
> Except that you then have to muck about with low-level coding to write an
> EntityResolver and register it with your XML parser, rather than just
> adding
> a simple template rule to your stylesheet.

Ah, you assume people are using a particular application.

For cross-platform portability, just use the default entity parser, have a
little CGI at the URL to provide the date. Or have a cron job generate a
file with the date every night and reference that.  I don't get why a
special entity resolver is required?

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe