   Re: [xml-dev] ROR files in action - focusLook.com

  • To: martin <martin@x-hive.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] ROR files in action - focusLook.com
  • From: Dom Vonarburg <dvonarbu@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 14:46:37 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

Martin,

Interesting article! False information is a problem
with any self-authored information.

But I think ROR can actually help solve a part of this
problem:

By encouraging websites to describe their objects ROR
provides additional data for search engines can
process (to check for consistancy of the information,
for example). Also, text on a webpage can refer to an
object in the ROR file for futher qualification. So
the more a search engine  understands about a website,
the less that website can fool the search engine.

Also, ROR provides several objects that will generate
webs of "observational" metadata. For example the
Review object enables a site or blog owner to express
an opinion about a website, blog, blog entry, product,
service, etc. This kind of data can be very valuable,
not individually, but as a whole.

Dom

--- martin <martin@x-hive.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dom Vonarburg wrote:
> > What is ROR?
> >
> > ROR is a simple RDF/XML format for describing your
> > website in a generic fashion, so that search
> engines
> > and other web applications can find and discover
> > information more easily.
>
> Have you read
> http://www.well.com/~doctorow/metacrap.htm?
>
> The article is quite impolite, but I think the
> general idea of it holds.
> Does ROR do anything to evade false information?
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html