   Re: [xml-dev] Call for Participation: W3C Workshop on XML Schema 1.0 Use

On 5/13/05, Paul Downey <paul.downey@whatfettle.com> wrote:

> The W3C is organizing a Workshop on XML Schema 1.0 User Experiences to
> gather concrete reports of user experience with XML Schema 1.0,

> The full Call for Participation is available at:
>
>       http://www.w3.org/2005/03/xml-schema-user-cfp

I would like to encourage xml-dev participants to consider attending
this workshop or at least submitting an experience report paper if you
can't attend in person.  People complain about XSD on xml-dev all the
time.  Here's your chance to tell W3C and its member companies what
you think, why you think it, and how you think the issues can be
addressed.

Wearing my Day Job hat, it's really hard to assess whether the
majority of end users are struggling with XSD or not.  We all know
that it has lots of ugly beasties hiding in the corners, but do they
bite the average citizen? We all know that there are interoperability
issues, but are those real XSD interop issues, implementation issues,
or XSD -> Java -> SQL -> .NET interop issues? We know that there are
alternatives to XSD, but do they have any success stories outside of
XML geekdom?  Most importantly, what can be done to move the XML world
forward -- fix it, toss it, grit our teeth and implement it, or what?