   Re: [xml-dev] Using Me Using You

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

>http://news.com.com/Phishers+get+personal/2100-7349-5720672.html
>
>This is a predictable evolution of heavy web use.  The more
>we use it, the more the bad guys can know about us.  Of course,
>the next step in personalization will be text analysis of lists
>such as this one to make more detailed profiles and predict
>behaviors.  That one isn't hard.
>
>Over the years of skrying in the deep bowl of distributed public
>hypermedia systems, I keep coming back to the end of "Atlas Shrugged"
>by Ayn Rand.  More and more of the smart independent and capable
>people begin to withdraw from the web and create better means to
>innovate and insert technology without exposing themselves to
>it's childishness and predatory behaviors.

    Predatory behavior ? Using Internet people are becoming more and
more isolated one from another. It is hard to be better isolated from
the real world than this.
    What about the people that lived 100 years ago ? How about 1000
years ago ? You can't hunt you will not eat. You can't eat you'll become
weak and you won't be able to hunt. That seems like a real problem, not
the "predatory behavior" of the Internet.
    How about the fact that 100 years ago the police, the judiciary
system and the doctors were all a big joke. What if you will go to the
doctor today and the only answer you'll get is

"OK. I can see that you are very sick. Don't worry, we will just take
out the bad blood - you know, this is the standard procedure."

    Next morning you'll be dead, and all because you had indigestion.

    No offence, but this one is taken from the series "all men should
look like Kalvin Klein models".

>  At the same time,
>some attempt the kind of futile behaviors one might compare to
>the Symbionese Liberation Front crimes.  At the same time,
>the growth of limited members-only gated web communities increases
>and external communications only pass through proxies.

    If you limit the communication is any way inevitably some smart
people will remain outside your world. Not to mention the disaster that
will struck your world when the selection criteria goes out of hand.
This is why I say that Internet is great.

--
Regards,
Razvan

SCJP preparation material: